Skip to main content

The crochet bikini

Every once in a while, there comes a surgical case which makes you feel ‘Yes, I made a difference’ and it inspires  you to work harder than ever before. 

There is one such girl, Riya (name changed to protect identity) who walked into my office few months ago. A chirpy 28 year old professional, with a beautiful face, Riya was like any other modern day youngster, raring to go. When she walked in, she was wearing a t-shirt with a dupatta wrapped around her body.  It was for that very reason that she had come to visit me.  Her breast size was Size F. Ever since she hit puberty, her breast size kept increasing disproportionately to her body. She needed to order her brassieres from abroad as the sizes she needed were not available in India.  Needless to say, she was subjected to rude looks and body shaming which made her uncomfortable. Heaviness  of breasts took a toll on her back and she started suffering with chronic neck and back pain. Eventually she started seeking solutions and had finally come to me for the same. We planned a breast reduction surgery for her. Her mom too was very supportive and we chalked out a plan discussing all the pros and cons of the surgery. There was one more hurdle, Riya was scared of General Anesthesia. She shared with me that a loved one from her family had once gone under Anesthesia, never to wake up from it. It took a great deal of counselling and positive reassurance to comfort her and overcome her fears. 


On the day of the surgery, I held her hand when she was going under Anesthesia. I told her ‘ Think of something nice as you go off to sleep. She said, ‘ Doctor, will I be able to wear a crotchet bikini on the beach?’  I paused for a moment, stumped by the strange request,  then she explained. ‘ You know, my mom makes these cute crochet tops, she’s made a bikini for me but I haven’t worn it yet.’ ‘ Yes you will!’ I said. ‘ Soon enough!’ I promised her. And I said a little prayer in my heart. She slowly went into her propofol induced sleep. 

The surgery went well, we removed around 1 kg tissue from both her breasts- literally 2 kgs off her chest and shoulders. She healed well, followed the post op instructions to the tee and could go on her planned vacation to Andaman and Nicobar islands within a month after her surgery. 

A few days back she buzzed me  ‘Hey’ I haven’t shared the pics from my vacation!’ And there they were! Never have I been so happy looking at bikini pics as I was from my lovely girl. The electric blue crochet bikini! 

Time and again, it reinforces in my mind how life-changing breast reduction surgeries can be. 

Breast reduction surgery is done to decrease the size of disproportionately large breasts maintaining their symmetry and aesthetics.

This surgery can be performed for women who are suffering with breast enlargement post pregnancy or even in young unmarried women who suffer with disproportionately large breasts. This condition is called virginal breast hypertrophy or gigantomastia. 

Post surgery women have to wear support bras for 6 to 8 weeks and avoid vigorous exercises for the same time period. The scars mature over a period of one year and fade slowly. 

There are many myths surrounding Breast reduction surgery which I answer on a daily basis, for e. g it does not increase the chances of breast cancer. 

There are many women like Riya out there, who are suffering in silence. This post is dedicated to them. And to their caregivers. Breast reduction can improve the quality of life and give new hope and vigour.  It is important to leave the myths and societal pressures behind and take bold steps to change status quo. Kudos to Riya and her mom to taking that decision! 









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy 40th Anniversary Aai-Baba.

 My mom and dad were born in the interiors of Maharashtra. Both academically brilliant, yet they couldn't be more different from each other. If my father is a mountain, my mother is a river. Meandering around the mountain yet calmly molding it.  When they came to Mumbai, they had next to nothing to call their own, yet they thrived and conquered the challenges thrown at them one step at a time, learning from mistakes, yet never backing down. And slowly, but surely they built a cushion for us to rest on, and a ladder to climb upon and reach greater heights. All this while, when we lived frugally, they engrained the value of 'Simple Living and High Thinking' in our minds. Even today, they believe in living by example. Instead of living a life of luxury in a metro city, or America, where my brother lives,  they chose to live in our native village in Vidarbha after retirement. Living close to nature, eating simple food, and giving back to the society, by teaching all the villa...

7 Things you need to know before going for LASER Hair removal.

Unwanted hair growth is a common aesthetic problem. Common methods of hair removal include Waxing, Shaving and use of epilators. However these techniques can be painful, need to be repeated often and their effects last for just a few days after the procedure. LASER hair removal promises to be a permanent painless solution and has emerged to be one of the most requested aesthetic procedures in recent times. Owing to the simplicity and demand for the procedure, a large number of 'LASER Clinics' have mushroomed in the last few years. However, due to low-quality machines and inadequately trained staff performing these procedures, the results have been inconsistent and LASER hair removal has fallen into disrepute. Hence, there is a need for adequate research and knowledge of certain facts before venturing out and spending your hard-earned money for these procedures. 1. Not all Hair removal LASERS are equally effective. Before going for the procedure it is important to k...

Is having an 'issue' really an issue?

Years ago, I received a phone call for an interview as surgical registrar at a reputed hospital. I was in a fix, as I was stranded with a 9 month old infant at home for that week, my in-laws were out of station and my husband was busy at work. Determined to make it work and not reschedule the interview, I made a few phone calls and requested my husband's cousin to look after my son while I was away for the interview. However she refused to stay alone with a baby. So we eventually decided to all go together for the interview. The D-day arrived and we three, me, my little son and cousin bundled up in the taxi and landed outside the doctor's cabin for the interview. My turn came, the interview went well and I secured the job. Many months passed and as I had to move on to do  superspecialisation, I resigned from the job. The department gave me a warm farewell, and it was then that the lady doctor who was on my interview panel spoke to me candidly. 'You know, I saw you out...