Skip to main content

What is BOTOX?


We all must have heard about BOTOX some time during our lives. Usually as something used by celebrities or high society ladies. Half baked knowledge is always dangerous, so here I would like to put forth some facts regarding this often misunderstood wonder-drug.

The first time I saw Botox being used was when I was posted in Urology, it was injected in a case of an Overactive bladder. The second time I saw it being used for Frey's Syndrome. The third time I used it for overactive cheek muscle. It was only during my aesthetic training that I got to know of its use in what it is famous for. Smoothening of lines and wrinkles.

So what is it? BOTOX is the brand name for botulinum toxin which is acquired from a bacteria called Clostridium Botulinum. When injected in controlled fashion it causes weakening of the overactive muscles and glands. Due to this unique property, this toxin has found widespread application all throughout the body, it is used for relieving blepharospams, for torticollis, cervical spasms, axillary hyperhidrosis, and of course, for the frown lines and crow's feet.

BOTOX does not cause dramatic effects. It prevents and delays the appearance of lines and wrinkles. The effects of the toxin are temporary and last for 6 to 8 months. Yet those who have experienced its effects often swear by it. No wonder that more than 11 million Americans have already used it and it is the most requested non-invasive aesthetic procedure all over the world.
 The effects of BOTOX are not just cosmetic, it has also been used in chronic migrane and for excessive sweating. Specially in the humid climate of Mumbai, identifying the overactive sweat glands by doing the starch iodine test and injecting the specific areas can be extremely useful. As always it is important to know that not anyone can inject this drug, after all its a toxin. If injected inadvertantly it can cause drooping of the eyebrows and asymmetry of the face. Knowledge of facial anatomy is a must. Hence know your injector and make sure they are qualified enough to do your procedure.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Happy 40th Anniversary Aai-Baba.

 My mom and dad were born in the interiors of Maharashtra. Both academically brilliant, yet they couldn't be more different from each other. If my father is a mountain, my mother is a river. Meandering around the mountain yet calmly molding it.  When they came to Mumbai, they had next to nothing to call their own, yet they thrived and conquered the challenges thrown at them one step at a time, learning from mistakes, yet never backing down. And slowly, but surely they built a cushion for us to rest on, and a ladder to climb upon and reach greater heights. All this while, when we lived frugally, they engrained the value of 'Simple Living and High Thinking' in our minds. Even today, they believe in living by example. Instead of living a life of luxury in a metro city, or America, where my brother lives,  they chose to live in our native village in Vidarbha after retirement. Living close to nature, eating simple food, and giving back to the society, by teaching all the villa...

7 Things you need to know before going for LASER Hair removal.

Unwanted hair growth is a common aesthetic problem. Common methods of hair removal include Waxing, Shaving and use of epilators. However these techniques can be painful, need to be repeated often and their effects last for just a few days after the procedure. LASER hair removal promises to be a permanent painless solution and has emerged to be one of the most requested aesthetic procedures in recent times. Owing to the simplicity and demand for the procedure, a large number of 'LASER Clinics' have mushroomed in the last few years. However, due to low-quality machines and inadequately trained staff performing these procedures, the results have been inconsistent and LASER hair removal has fallen into disrepute. Hence, there is a need for adequate research and knowledge of certain facts before venturing out and spending your hard-earned money for these procedures. 1. Not all Hair removal LASERS are equally effective. Before going for the procedure it is important to k...

Is having an 'issue' really an issue?

Years ago, I received a phone call for an interview as surgical registrar at a reputed hospital. I was in a fix, as I was stranded with a 9 month old infant at home for that week, my in-laws were out of station and my husband was busy at work. Determined to make it work and not reschedule the interview, I made a few phone calls and requested my husband's cousin to look after my son while I was away for the interview. However she refused to stay alone with a baby. So we eventually decided to all go together for the interview. The D-day arrived and we three, me, my little son and cousin bundled up in the taxi and landed outside the doctor's cabin for the interview. My turn came, the interview went well and I secured the job. Many months passed and as I had to move on to do  superspecialisation, I resigned from the job. The department gave me a warm farewell, and it was then that the lady doctor who was on my interview panel spoke to me candidly. 'You know, I saw you out...